Thursday, June 25, 2009

Jonathon Lame & Mr. Boring

 
 Has anyone else read this book? Highly recommended by critics and peers alike, I was excited to peruse its pages.

I thought it was going to be a fantastic contemporary melding of the traditions of Dickens, Austen, and Tolkien--full of deep characters and ornate swashbuckling. I had nothing but the highest of expectations.

Instead, I found a fanciful novel stuffed to the gills with footnotes that detail multiple alternative magical universes ad nauseum and characters who talk about everything but do nothing despite being in possesion of magical powers.

I've read half of it and thoroughly lost interest. I never leave a book unfinished!

Shame on you, overrated Jonathon Strange & Mr. Norrell. You are a chore--not a delight--to read.

2 comments:

dave, catie, and baby b. said...

How is it that magical powers have completely hijacked the literary world withing the last 8 years?

Megan said...

Funny post- I reserved it at the library a few months ago because I also had heard good things about it. First off, I saw the length and that it was "magical" and I didn't even start it! I'm glad I didn't start it. Man, if even you couldn't finish it...

Try reading Blue Latitudes by Tony Horwitz, that's what I'm reading now. It's great! Not a novel but a good read.