Thursday, November 16, 2006

Me Like Hockey

The Salt Lake Golden Eagles were Utah's hockey team when I was growing up. Were they any good, you ask? Let's look at the following superlatives:
  • 1988 Turner Cup (IHL) Championship
  • 1987 Turner Cup (IHL) Championship
  • 1981 Adams Cup (CHL) Championship
  • 1980 Adams Cup (CHL) Championship
  • 1975 Adams Cup (CHL) Championship
  • 1982 CHL Regular Season Champions
  • 1980 CHL Regular Season Champions
  • 1979 CHL Regular Season Champions
They were one heck of a team. You wanna know why?

They were fighters with their sticks and their fists.

Dad would take me to at least a couple games every year so I would be indoctrinated into the magical sport of hockey. In fact, he even got us tickets to the Golden Eagles' last game in '94. It was the most intense sporting event I have ever attended. People were throwing enormous paper airplanes onto the ice they'd fashioned from complimentary posters that had been handed out at the doors the whole night. At the end of the game, which was a close victory for the Eagles, the crowd literally exploded. A torrent of popcorn, soda, and beer flooded onto the ice. For a 10 year-old, this was an impressionable group dynamic. As a said before, that was their last game in Salt Lake City. Larry Miller had sold the franchise to Detroit. To this day, I refuse to buy a car from "Larry Miller the Eagle Killer." He robbed Utah of its amazing hockey franchise and me of part of my childhood. The Grizzlies are an OK team, but I will always remember the glory days of the Eagles and their graceful yet violent ballet on ice that ranks as one of my fondest childhood sports memories.


No comments: