Monday, December 11, 2006

The Holiest of Wars

On November 26, 2006 I attended one of the greatest Holy Wars of all time at Rice Eccles Stadium in Salt Lake City. I had to initially dress up as a Ute fan so I could get into the game with a U student ticket that was given to me courtesy of my mission buddy Kyle Moon. I hung out in the student section where my ticket had placed me, but it was soon apparent that I was a "pilgrim in an unholy land." I shed the red exoclothing and quickly headed for the BYU fan section.

What can I say? After Johnny Harline caught that football it was all a blur... I ran down the stairs and jumped out on the field even before the game was officially declared over. I lingered and revelled in the victory while being surrounded by a silent sea of red. We won the Holy War my freshman year, and we won the Holy War my senior year. I just knew they would win this one. I could feel it the whole season. Although the margin of victory was smaller than anyone had wished, the Cougars' amazing last two final drives were a tribute to the talent and heart of this team. My attendance at this Holy War will always be one of my most cherished sporting event memories.

No comments: