Friday, July 18, 2008

A Vow to Rock

Piety and power metal aren't incompatible. Check out this guy.

It reminded me of an incident when an aged driver at work queried me, "the Mormon," about my listening to alternative rock. He thought it was unbecoming of a self-styled zealot.

I explained that I enjoyed almost every genre under the sun but did avoid profane music.

I could tell he still perceived me as an audio rebel within the patchwork of Mormon dogma.

I was humored.

Like Brother Metal, I've learned that intense music doesn't mean that it's necessarily obscene.

Some, like the aforementioned driver, have a impossible time separating the two.

While these individuals will forever be banging on their ceilings with their proverbial broom handles calling for a cessation of the infernal racket, let us enjoy the blessed ROCK AND ROLL that surely comes from above.

I guess it comes from drugs too.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey friend! Don't ask me how I found your blog, but I did. Hope all is going well for you.

Seba said...

Hey!

I dunno how I found your blog, but I did it!

BTW you don't know me, but I know your brother, he is a missionary here in Antofagasta he is from my ward...my name is Sebastian =)

It's nice to meet Elder Stoddard's family and he always talks about his brother...

He told me you know spanish, so...podriamos hablar?

Greetings from Chile!!

Unknown said...

So many people have no idea how they found your blog. I still remember how I found it, you told me you had one and I was like, "what the heck Buck? Give me the url!" And then you did.

To those about to rock, we salute you.

PS, I heard a rumor that you two may be coming to Utah for a visit? Yes? Yes? When?

Bukran said...

Dr. Miller, then Emily, then someone from Mark's mission? I love random readership! Welcome, friends.

It just makes me think maybe I should try to blog about something more substantial...

Nah.

Bukran said...

Yes, we are planning on visiting Utah around Thanksgiving time for a week and a half. We haven't planned any further than that. We'll keep ya posted.

Melanie said...

"That's rock and roll, Jorgen. Let's turn if off." Baaa haa ha ha! The Stoddards have got the beat. Lots of friends are surprised by what I listen to as well.

Bukran said...

I love retelling that story. Are those kids normal these days?

Satan himself was strumming that acoustic guitar to those nursery rhyme melodies!