Sunday, June 20, 2010

Lessons for Life, Lessons for Eternity

I don't remember much about that first blur of a day in the MTC, but I do remember the very last thing my father told me before I entered into those point-of-no-return doors after the rest of my family had tearfully said good-bye.

With the air of a proud patriarch, he simply said, "Work hard, son."

This vignette is demonstrative of the two greatest lessons I learned from my father's example.

Service to others, to the church, and the value of hard work.

It held true on the mission, and it holds true now as a father myself.

Thanks, Dad.

1 comment:

Melanie said...

Adam, you should've seen him today on Father's Day...everything pretty much the same, except he was sporting a pirate eye patch. Yes, that's right, complete with a skull and cross-bones (he says this one he got from the dress up box is more comfortable than the medical one he got). "My eye, my eye!" Happy Fathers Day to you!