Monday, September 25, 2006

Recipe: Potatoes O'Bukran

This is an recipe I developed from my mother's own method for frying up spuds when I was just a lad. It's provided me much sustenance over the years. I therefore submit it for your own culinary enjoyment.

First you need to get yourself 8-12 spuds (potatoes) and wash them. Some folks like to peel the skin off, but I like to keep it on for a hardier food product. Poke each tater (potato) with a fork repeatedly so it won't blow up in your microwave. Place the potatoes and nuke (microwave) them for about 10-12 minutes. Remove potatoes and let them cool ever-so-slightly--they're freaking hot. Cube the cooked potatoes into fairly robust pieces. In a saucepan, sautee about half a cube of butter until it's all melted. Then add the cut-up potatoes and cook them on a medium heat. Initially, stir the potatoes around in order for them to absorb the melted butter. Then let them brown and stir them only occasionally. You can add a dash of salt and pepper if you wish, but I'm of Irish stock and I like the original potato taste. Once many facets on the potato chunks are a golden brown and almost to the cusp on burning is when you must remove the spuds from the stove. Serve promptly with ridiculous amounts of ketchup. Buen provecho!

No comments: