Thursday, October 22, 2009

Fame

I helped out a man at work today who was obviously wealthy--he had just smashed up his 2009 Cadillac Escalade.

I could tell he was someone of significant stature by the reverential treatment the personnel at the body shop gave him.

He was badly shaken up by the accident and uttered a few lines about "the blessing and the curse of his famous name."

I had no idea to what he was referring to.

Only when he left did my coworker inform me he was one of the sons of Mike Ilitch--owner of the Detroit Red Wings/Detroit Tigers and founder of Little Caesar's Pizza.

I guess I still haven't lived here long enough to know the local celebrities.

Maybe I need to watch SportsCenter more...

Nah.

Speaking of local celebrities...I learned randomly from the aforementioned link that this esteemed humanitarian was given Detroit's key to the city.

Wow.

2 comments:

Katie said...

Weird. That happened to me when I worked at the children's museum. Mrs. Fabiano came...who is apparently weathly (and particular about not having dried out markers...) and well-known around Michigan.

Bukran said...

Fabiano of Fabiano Brothers? The biggest beer distributor in the land? Yeah, I couldn't tell you what she or any one in her family looks like either...